Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers
The Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers you are looking are at the end of this post. But read this ones first to avoid mistakes.
Great work!! This is the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers that you have been looking for. I am about to let the cat out of the bag by sharing the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers and expos with you. If you are writing this 2019 waec Health Science exams, then you don’t have to panic about how you will pass it because I will help you with that.
Now, what does it take to pass this Health Science exams?
I will show you what it takes to get your 2019 waec Health Science questions and answers very simple and straight forward. It takes something but nothing to pass this exams.
All you need to pass this Health Science waec exam is to do the following.
1. Start preparing for the exams as soon as possible. This is one of the best way to get the
2. Study waec Health Science past questions. This is one of the best ways to get the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers Most of the 2019 waec Health Science questions and answers in the question paper are repeated questions. Studying the weac Health Science past questions and answers will actually help you to do better in this exams. 50% of the questions you will see on question paper are repeated questions.
3. Read and study your Health Science Textbook. Your Health Science textbook has all the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers that you need. All you need to do is to use the waec Health Science syllable to get the correct guide on the topics that waec will set the questions from.
4. Read your Health Science SS1-SS3 note. Almost all the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers is in your SS1-SS3 Health Science notebook. Why you still have your textbook but fail exams is because you have eventually made it your biggest enemy.
5. Pray before and after exams. Prayer is the key to every success. With God, the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers will be reflecting here and there. Even after the exams, you still need God through prayer to make sure your exams script are well and properly marked.
6. Arrive before time. Rushing to exams hall is very bad. In fact, a lot of things can skip your memory if you go into exams hall in a rush. Endeavor to be there before the exams start and make sure you start along with others to avoid shortening of time.
Very good Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers Instructions to follow.
Below are some good Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers Instructions that you should follow to make it large and still leave without issues. So if you don’t want either WAEC body or your examiner to cease your paper or result, then follow this instructions on Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers Instructions to follow for safety.
1. Read the instructions at the first page of the exams paper before you start writing.
2. Do not open your question paper until you are told to do so.
3. USE only HB pencil to shade your OMR in the OBJ Section
4. You are free to use Biro in the theory part
4. You can use calculator in subjects that has calculations. But endeavor to use the recommended calculator.
6. Make sure that you fill your name, Subject, paper, write WAEC, paper code and other examination details where necessary.
7. Ensure that the texts in your question papers are boldly printed. Else, call the attention of the examiner.
8. Behave yourself. Misbehaving in the exams hall may mark the end of your exams on that very subject.
9. Don’t let invigilators catch you using expo (Unless you are using Miracle centre for your WAEC Physics).
10. Use a very bold and clear handwriting.
11. Checkout for writing errors, misspelling an wrong sentence usage.
12. Head straight and answer the questions you know first before trying out the difficult ones.
The Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers format
As you will see, the 2019 waec Health Science exams will take the below format.
The Health Science waec exams consist of two different papers( paper 1 & 2)
PAPER 1 : will consist of about forty multiple-choice objective questions which will cover the entire syllabus. Candidates are expected to answer all the questions in 50 minutes for 40 marks.
PAPER 2 : Will be a 2-hour paper consisting of six essay questions, out of which candidates will be expected to answer any four for 80 marks.
Below are the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers (samples for both OBJ and Theory)
Below are some Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers sample from other years exam.
The Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers will be posted here sooner.. Keep refreshing this page for real Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers.
Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers samples.
Below are some 2019 waec Health Science questions and answers samples to follow.. more of this 2019 waec Health Science questions and answers will be posted here few minutes from now.. The correct 2019 waec Health Science questions and answers will be posted here later.. so keep on refreshing this page for your correct 2019 waec Health Science questions and answers.
1.(a) (i) What are enzymes? [ 2 marks]
(ii) State five characteristics of enzymes[ 5 marks]
(iii) Name two enzymes involved in carbohydrate digestion in the body [ 2 marks]
(b) Name the end-product of digestion of
(iii) fats. [3 marks]
(c)State two uses each of the following classes of food:
(ii) vitamins.[ 4 marks]
(d)State two ways each in which the following substances are important
in the diet of humans:
(ii)Water. [ 4 marks].
Observation: This question was attempted by many candidates and their performance was good. In part (a)(i) candidates were able to define enzyme correctly, however, in part (a)(ii) candidates stated characteristics of enzymes, in part (a)(iii) candidates named enzymes involved in carbohydrate digestion in the body. In part (c) candidates stated uses of proteins and vitamins. In part (d) candidates stated ways in which roughage and water are important in the diet of humans.
The-expected answers were as follows:
Enzymes are biological/organic catalysts protein in nature, produced in minute quantities in living cells.
(ii) Characteristics of enzymes
- They are made up of protein/protein in nature
- Over heating/excessive heating destroys enzymes
- They work best within a certain specific range of temperature
- They work best within a certain range of PH
- They are specific in action/particular reaction/act on specific substrate
- They remain unchanged at the end of the reaction
- They are activated by co-enzymes/co-factors
- They increase the rate of chemical reactions
- They are required in small amounts.
(iii) Enzymes involved in carbohydrate digestion
- Salivary amylase/ptyalin
- Pancreatic amylase
(b) End product of digestion of classes of food
amino acids e.g. peptones and peptides
(c) Uses of the following classes of food
- Formation of enzymes, hormones, antibodies and hairs
- Growth/formation of new cells.
- Repair of body tissues
- Release of energy.
- Required in the absorption of calcium or phosphorus
- Important in the formation of bones
- Prevents rickets/Aids healthy growth
- Prevents deficiency diseases/named diseases.
(d) Importance of the following substances in the diet human
- Aids digestion and adds to the food bulk
- It helps the food to pass through the digestive system easily/easy movement of the
- Bowel/prevent constipation
- It reduces the risk of bowel cancer
- Serves as a solvent for digestion
- Softens the food
- Medium for enzyme/chemical activity
- Transport of digested food
- Forms 70% of body fluid
(a)Explain the following terms:
(ii) fainting. [4 marks]
(b) (i) State three symptoms of shock [3 marks]
(ii) Outline the steps taken in the first aid treatment of shock victims.[ 5 marks]
(c)Explain the following terms:
(ii) scoliosis. [4 marks]
(d)Explain the following terms associated with bone injuries:
(ii) sprain [4 marks]
Observation: This question was attempted by many candidates and the performance was fair. In part (a) (i) and (ii) candidates could not explain the terms shock and fainting correctly however, some candidates lost marks due to misplacement of definition of shock for fainting and fainting for shock. In part (b) (i) candidates could not state symptoms of shock correctly, in (b) (ii) candidates lost marks due to their inability to outline the steps taken in the first aid treatment of shock victims. In part (c) candidates explain khyphosis and scoliosis correctly because of their constant familiarity with the terms. In part (d) candidates also explained dislocation and sprain due to their familiarity.
The expected answers were as follows:
(a) Explanation of the following terms
It is a dangerous condition arising from severe injury or emotional strain that prevents
enough oxygenated blood to reach vital organs of the body e.g. brain, heart.
Is temporary loss of consciousness due to reduced supply of oxygenated blood to the
(b) (i) Symptoms of shock
- Cold clammy skin/sweating
- Pale face
- Shallow breathing
- Weak rapid pulse
- Fainting/loss of consciousness
(ii) Steps taken in first aid treatment of shock victim
- Correct the cause of the shock e.g control bleeding, disconnect electricity source etc.
- Keep victim lying down on his back
- Keep air passage open
- If vomiting turn head to one side
- Keeping head lower than body by elevating legs if no bone is broken
- Reassure the victim/calm victim down
- Avoid over crowding
- Take to hospital/consult a doctor
(c) Explanation of the following terms
This is an exaggeration of the backward curve, of the thoracic vertebrae, in extreme
cases it is known as hunchback.
This is the lateral curvature of the spine in the upper or lower part of the spine.
(d) Explanation of the following terms
It is an injury which occurs when bones at ajoint move away from its original
position/displacement of one or more bones at the joint.
An injury/wrenching or tearing of ligaments or other structures in a joint.
(a)(i) What is an endocrine gland? [2 marks]
(ii) State three functions of adrenalin. [3 marks]
(b) State three effects of each of the following conditions in humans:
(i) over-secretion of thyroxin;
(ii) under-secretion of thyroxin.[6 marks]
(c) (i) Write HIV in full. [ 1 mark]
(ii) Distinguish between HIV and AIDS. [2 mark]
(d)State two methods each by which the vectors of the following diseases can be controlled:
(iii) guinea worm. [ 6 marks]
Observation: This question was attempted by few candidates and candidates performance was fair. In part (a)(i) candidates could not define endocrine gland correctly in (a) (ii) candidates lost marks because they cannot state functions of adrenalin. In part (b) however, candidates lost marks because they mixed up effect of over-secretion of thyroxin with effect of under-secretion of thyroxin. In part ( c) (i) candidates lost marks due to their inability to write HIV in full, some candidates wrote Human immino deficiency while some wrote immune only, in (c) (ii) candidates could not distinguish between HIV and AIDS. In part (d) candidates could not state the method of controlling the vectors of onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis and guinea worm, few candidates that stated the methods mixed up onchocerciasis for guinea worm and schistosomiasis for onchocerciasis.
The expected answers were as follows:
(a)(i) Endocrine gland
Is a gland whose secretion does not pass through any duct/ductless before reaching its target
organ/ductless gland which secretes directly into the blood.
(ii) Functions of adrenal in
- Increasing the rate of conversion of glucose to glycogen
- Controls response for fight or flight/prepares the body for action
- Increases the rate of heart beat
- It increases muscle tones
- It increases rate of breathing action
- Increases blood sugar level.
(b) Effects of the following conditions in humans
(i) Over-secretion of thyroxin
- Thyroid gland becomes large/goiter develops
- Increases rate of heart beat
- Large appetite is developed
- There is loss in body weight
- Rate of metabolism is increased
- Increase in blood pressure
(ii) Under-secretion of thyroxin
- Rate of metabolism decreases
- Rate of heart beat decreases
- Body temperature is lowered
- Children become stunted in growth
- Children have poor mental development
- Adults develop thick skin.
(c) (i) HIV in full
Human Immuno Deficiency Virus
(ii) Distinguishing between HIV and AIDS
HIV is a virus and AIDS is a disease caused by the virus
(d)Method by which the vectors of the following diseases can be controlled
- Clear bush around banks of river/allow free flow of stream.
- Treat breeding places with insecticides
- Introduce fish to eat intermediate host (water snail)
- Eliminate the water snail with mollusc ide
- Clear vegetation around pond/destroy breeding grounds
- Prevent infected person from urinating or defecating into waters
- Avoid bathing in infected water.
- Boil drinking water/provide good source of water.
- Filter water before drinking
- Avoid wading or bathing in water/streams.
- Rivers/lakes/ponds wear rain boot.
- Destroy intermediate host.
Study the diagrams below and use them to answer questions 4(a) and 4(b).
Fig. 1 b
(a) (i) Identify the structures illustrated in Fig 1 a and Fig. 1 b [2 marks]
(ii) Name the parts labeled, I, II, III and IV. [2 marks]
(iii)State one function each of the parts labeled I, II, III and IV. [ 4 marks]
(b) (i) In which region of the human body can the structure in Fig. 1 a be found? [ 1 mark]
(ii) State three differences between the two structures
illustrated in Fig. 1a and Fig.1b [3 marks]
(c) Name the four chambers of the heart [4 marks]
(d) State the function of each of the following:
(ivsemi-lunar valve. [ 4 marks]
Observation: This question was attempted by few candidates and candidates performance was poor. In part (a) (i) candidates identified the structures wrongly, in (a)(ii) candidates mixed up parts labelled in their answers, in (a) (iii) candidate stated wrong function of the parts labelled I, II, III and IV.
In part (b) (i) candidates could not mention region of the human body where the diagram can be found, in (b) (ii) candidates could not also state differences between the two structures thoracic vertebra and cervical vertebra. In part (c) candidates mentioned chambers of the heart. In part (d) candidates could not state the function of pulmonary artery, pulmonary vein, biscupid valve and semi-lunar valve.
The expected answers were as follows;
(a) (i) Identification of the structures illustrated
fig 1a thoracic vertebra
Fig 1a cervical vertebra
(ii) Naming the parts labelled
- Neural spine
- Transverse process
- Neural canal
(iii)Function of the parts labelled
Function of 1
attachment of muscles to bones
Function of 2
attachment to the rib
Function of 3
for the passage of spinal cord.
Function of 4
it fits into the intervertebral disc/provides rigidity to the bones.
(c) Naming the four chambers of the heart
- Right atrium/auricle
- left atrium/auricle
- right ventricle
- left ventricle
(d)Function of each of the following:
Carries deoxygenated blood from the heart to the lungs
Carries oxygenated blood from the lungs to the heart
(iii) biscuspid valve;
Prevent back flow of blood from left ventricle to atrium
Prevents back flow of blood from aorta left ventricle/pulmonary
artery right ventricle.
(a) (i) What is ventilation? [2 marks]
(iiState five factors that may be considered to ensure proper ventilation When building a home [ 5 marks]
(iii) Give four reasons why proper ventilation is necessary for humans [4 marks]
(b) State five ways of preventing tooth decay. [5 marks]
(c)State two causes each of
(ii) indigestion. [ 4 marks]
Observation: This question was attempted by many candidates and candidates performed fairly well. In part (a)(i) candidate could not define ventilation, in (a)(ii) candidate could not state factors that may be considered to ensure proper ventilation when building a home correctly, in (a)(iii) candidates gave reasons why proper ventilation is necessary for humans. In part (b) candidates stated ways of preventing tooth decay. In part (c) (i) and (iii) where candidates were requested to state causes of constipation and indigestion candidates stated the causes correctly.
The expected answers were as follows:
It is a process of displacing state air, with fresh in a room/an enclosure/environment
(ii) Factors considered to ensure proper ventilation when building a home
- Size of the windows
- Position of windows
- Alignment of the building
- Direction of wind flow in the area
- Height of the ceiling
- Adequacy of number of windows
- Ventilator bricks/perforated walls/ air ways
(iii)Reasons why proper ventilation is necessary for human
- Prevention of suffocation/sweating
- Removal of state air/recycling of air
- Removal of excess heat
- Removal of body odour/pollutants
- To reduce bacteria/microbes
- Reduces the incidence of respiratory diseases
(b)Ways of preventing tooth decay
- Teeth must be kept clean/brushed after meals
- Avoid eating too many sweets
- Regular visit to the dentist
- Eating food rich in calcium/phosphorus
- Avoid eating too hot or cold food to prevent cracking
- Avoid using the tooth to open bottle tops
- Use fluoride tooth paste/drink fluorinated water
- Avoid using sharp/pointed object to pick the teeth
- Reduce the intake of carbonated drinks.
(c) (i) Causes of constipation
- Lack of exercise
- Absence of roughage in the diet
- Absence of fruits/vegetable in diet
- Intake of too much dry food/junk food/over eating
- Not taking sufficient water
(ii) Causes of indigestion
- Eating at irregular times
- Improper chewing
- Over heating
- Heavy smoking
- Emotional stress
- Stomach ulcer
- Inadequate cooking.
SIMPLE GUIDES FOR THE WAEC EXAMS
1. HAVE SELF-CONFIDENCE
No one owns yourself, you are the owner, try and coordinate yourself during the exams because nothing in the exams hall is new. I tell you, with self-confidence, you will conquer.
2. PRAY TO GOD CONCERNING YOUR EXAMS
The Almighty God is your Creator, he cannot hide his face from you if you seek his face. Pray to God for through Him everything is possible in your Waec day.
3. GO TO THE EXAMS VENUE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
Punctuality is another factor that determines success in exams. You have all days to prepare before your Waec exams commence. Do not claim to be busy while you suppose to be in the exams venue. Go earlier and settle before the exams start.
4. FOLLOW STRICTLY THE INSTRUCTION ON THE EXAM PAPER
Many candidates overlook the instructions given in the exams hall. They think the instructions are not important. this is not good, adhere to the instructions and you will come out the best in your Waec exams.
5. USE WHAT YOU READ
I know you read during the course of your preparation. Now is the right time to pour out you have upstairs and scatter Waec with the answers to the theory questions. You can get the 2019 Waec answers from what you read so far.
6. ANSWER THE ONES YOU KNOW.
First of all provide 2019 Waec answers that you know while waiting for the rest.
7. USE THE WAE E-LEARNING PORTAL TO LEARN SOME NEW LESSONS:
The West African Examination Council (Waec) recently launched a portal called Waec e-learning to curb the number of failures in the Waec May/June SSCE by creating a portal that contains the resources for all Waec approved subjects that will students understand the standards required for success in respective examinations.
Those were the Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers that you should know and make use of them. They are Health Science past questions and answers. This Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers were sample Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers, keep on refreshing this website to get the correct Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers
Searches related to Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers
Below are searches related to Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers.
You can use this posts listed below to get more Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers If you are not satisfied with this Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers, then scroll down and request for the correct Waec 2019 Health Science questions and answers
Health Science waec 2018
2019 waec Health Science questions and answers
Health Science past question and answers
waec health science past questions/2019 waec Health Science questions and answers
2019 waec Health Science questions and answers
waec Health Science question 2018
WAEC Health Science past questions
2019 waec Health Science questions and answers
That was the 2019 waec Health Science questions and answers we can give to you for now.